The holiday season is a time to gather and celebrate with friends and family. Between October and January, there is plenty of Halloween candy, mashed potatoes with gravy, and bottles of bubbly to be enjoyed. For many, too much celebrating can lead to a few extra unwanted pounds each year. But what about the holiday side effect no one talks about–disturbed digestion? Holiday shopping, travel, parties, eating extravaganzas and financial burdens can stop your digestion in its tracks. Or, on the flip side, it can send you running to the bathroom. Read on for my five tips to help maintain happy and healthy insides throughout the holidays and into the New Year.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][Tweet “Keep your digestion on track during the holidays with @smartyhealth #thegoodgummy #sweatpink @kimhobanrd”]
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. In addition to preventing and combating holiday hangovers, adequate hydration keeps your digestive tract in line. Fluid helps move food through your body smoothly and aids in nutrient absorption. Sipping on plain old water is a great habit, but you can also look to herbal teas like peppermint and ginger for digestive benefits.
2. Fill up on vitamin “F”. Alright, so fiber isn’t really a vitamin, but the digestive benefits of adequate fiber intake make it just as important to overall health as many vitamins and minerals. High-fiber faves include beans, whole grains, veggies and nuts. To boost your intake while getting the most bang for your nutritional buck, look for a multivitamin with added fiber. We’re huge fans of Smarty Pants adult complete + fiber multivitamins; they’re the perfect way to load up on vitamins AND fiber during a time when your body could use more of all of the above!
[Tweet “Fill up on “Vitamin F” w/ @SmartyHealth multivitamins + fiber! #thegoodgummy #sweatpink @kimhobanrd”]
3. Zen out. Stress may just be the most overlooked cause of digestive issues. Braving crowded malls, preparing for house guests and cooking delicious feasts during the holidays can leave us feeling overwhelmed and on edge. Destress by scheduling regular exercise, enjoying a laugh with family and friends, practicing yoga or meditating.
4. Get moving. Exercise is not only a stress release, it actually helps stimulate the natural contraction of muscles in the stomach and intestines, helping food pass through quickly for better digestion.
5. Ditch processed foods. Items high in salt, sugar, additives and artificial sweeteners are more difficult for our bodies to recognize and digest, plus they offer no real nutritional benefits. Instead of packaged and processed products, opt for real whole foods that your digestive tract knows and loves.
These are 5 ways I’ve found help me and my clients stay on track during the holidays – now it’s your turn! Tell us how you keep everything running smoothly despite the mashed potatoes and sweets, and you’ll have a chance to win SmartyPants Adult Complete + Fiber multivitamins to help you stay healthy and well this holiday season.
This post was sponsored by SmartyPants Vitamins. All opinions are our own – and we so appreciate you supporting the brands that support Fit Approach and the #sweatpink community![/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in