Your Instagram engagement rate can be a powerful selling point when you’re negotiating with brand partners.
How to calculate your Instagram engagement rate:
- Pick one of your average posts. Not your baby announcement or your winning marathon picture, with the outsize results: just an average post, with the ‘typical’ number of likes and comments you get.
- Add up the total number of likes and comments, and divide by your # of followers.
- Multiply that result by 100, and that percentage is your engagement rate!
How your engagement rate stacks up
Engagement rates will vary by audience size. In general, the smaller your following, the higher your engagement rate. According to TapInfluence, the following are average engagement rates by follower count:
So what’s a ‘good’ engagement rate?
According to Scrunch:
- Less than 1% = low engagement rate
- Between 1% and 3.5% = average/good engagement rate
- Between 3.5% and 6% = high engagement rate
- Above 6% = very high engagement rate
In short, if your engagement rate is at least 1%, make sure to include that in your media kit.