How to create content and a case study for pitching race directors—and still be present for the experience.
Getting sponsored to race is basically a running influencer’s dream come true, amiright?
If you want to partner with more races, or your first race, or just want to be more organized about content creation, this guide will help you PR at race content creation.
Follow this guide during your next race to create the kinds of content and a killer case study that will help you secure more race partnerships.
Before the race: get prepared
- Download this shot list
- Grab our content calendar for race weekend (<– Download this below ⬇️, and rock content creation before, during, and after your race)
- Create an IG Stories template you can use throughout the event
- Save race handles & tags to a note on your phone for easy copy & paste
- Invite your teammates to a shared photo stream so you can all share photos
- Pack clothes you know you’ll want to be photographed in
- If you want to save yourself the time creating a case study showing all your hard work, sign up for a custom analytics report. Here’s how to get one.
When you arrive:
- Recruit a run buddy or supporter to take photos of you at the start line and finish lines
- Take tons of photos of the scenery, your campsite, swag bag, and gear while everything is in pristine condition (check the shot list)
During the race:
- Enjoy the experience!
- Take as many action shots as possible of you and your teammates, and your experience on the course
- Ham it up for the official race photographer. You may just get something amazing from that.
- Remind your teammates to share their photos to your photostream
- Create recap content for your blog & Instagram, and share it to relevant Facebook groups, your personal Facebook, your IG stories, Twitter, Pinterest … and everywhere else.
- Create an engagement report and a case study highlighting the content you created. Here’s a template you can use (free!).
And there you have it, friends: a simple way to make the most of your presence at the race. Not only will you get an amazing experience from being at the race, you’ll also be able to leverage your time there to open up more opportunities on your race calendar.