Have you ever wondered: is butter a carb? We’re here with a quick piece about the properties of carbohydrates and butter to help you (and us!) understand exactly what butter is.
First, what’s a carb?
Carbohydrates are all basically sugars, but are divided into two distinctive categories: simple and complex.
Simple carbs, or simple sugars, are made up of one or two sugar molecules, and are quickly absorbed by the body and provide fast energy. They’re found in fruits, milk, and vegetables.
Complex carbs, which include starches and fiber, have three or more sugar molecules. Because of their more complex structure, it takes longer for your body to digest complex carbs and in turn, they give you sustaining energy over a longer period of time. Beans, cereal grains, and starchy vegetables/legumes generally contain a good number of complex carbs.
Butter is created from dairy milk (cow, sheep, goat, or other varieties). While dairy milk does contain sugar (and therefore carbs), butter is made when the dairy milk is removed from the butterfat. So butter doesn’t retain a significant amount of sugar/carbs.
In the US, butter is required to be made up of at least 80% butterfat. The remaining 20% generally contains water with some milk proteins.
So is butter a carb?
No! Butter is a fat and not a carb.