Traveling can take a toll on your body! Flying not only makes your muscles sore and tight, but also prompts dehydration due to lack of humidity in the cabin, which results in fatigue and your skin losing moisture. That’s why it is SO important to stretch and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Mineral water is an amazing option to help keep you hydrated and energized on travel days. It’s best not to wait until you feel tired and thirsty- take pre-emptive action and enjoy a big glass of Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water before you leave home. It’s full of calcium, magnesium, and bicarbonate, which are all so important to keep our bodies regulated and healthy!
Here are a few tips on hydration, as well as some stretches that can be done at home before you leave, in the airport, or even on the plane!
- Before you leave your home, enjoy a big glass of Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water. Due to its unique volcanic origins, Gerolsteiner is naturally highly mineralized containing 2,500mg of minerals per liter. With sparkling mineral water like Gerolsteiner, it is easy to maintain your fluid balance while at the same time supplying your body with valuable minerals and trace elements. The minerals in Gerolsteiner also help support the healthy function of your digestive and immune systems. A good thing when flying! So take a drink, then take yourself into Downward Dog – This stretches your lower back, hamstrings, and calves. If you’re a little anxious about your flight, this will also help by improving your blood to flow to your brain, easing your stresses and worries.
2. Malasana/Yogi Squat – This yummy pose stretches your ankles, hamstrings, groin, and lower back. It also strengthens your quads, hamstrings, glutes, calf muscles, core, and lower back. Sitting for hours at a time will quickly tighten all of these muscles. Doing this before and mid–flight may help you with the aches and pains of having to sit for long periods of time. Did you know that drinking mineral water will also help to act as a lubricant and cushion for the joints, as well as aiding in the digestive process? Sounds like another good reason to drink up!
3. Low Lunge – This is a great stretch to help open up the hip flexors. Sitting for long periods of time will make your hip flexors super tight, so any chance you have to stretch them will be much needed. This pose also stretches your hamstrings and quads. I like to throw in a shoulder stretch to help open up my shoulders and chest, and ease any tension from the stress of traveling.
4. Butterfly Pose – You will find that this pose helps you to open up and relax your hips and thighs. If you’re lucky enough to have a roomy seat, or no one sitting next to you, this is another great one to do mid–flight. It is known to help relieve stress or tiredness.
5. Standing Forward Fold with shoulder stretch – There is no doubt when you do this pose that it stretches those tight hamstrings! But forward fold also helps to stretch the hips and calves, as well as strengthens the thighs and knees. Try not to round your back to really feel the stretch. Adding a shoulder stretch will help release tension in your shoulders and ease any aches and pains from sitting in one spot for long periods of time.
With these simple stretches, as well as drinking your Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water before and after your flight, you won’t have to worry about feeling tired or achey. An added bonus is that mineral water helps support healthy skin. Be sure to plan ahead and have a case of Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water delivered to your destination via jet.com. This way you can enjoy your family gatherings feeling refreshed, glowing and sparkling from within! Happy Holidays!
Disclaimer: Thanks for keeping us hydrated during holiday travels, Gerolsteiner!