Allison Day, award-winning author of Whole Bowls and Yummy Beet! is sharing two freebies with us today: a recipe for a perfect, healthy, comforting buddha bowl, and a packet full of free recipes from her brand new vegetarian cookbook Whole Bowls (just click here and use the code “wholebowls” to get your free excerpt).
This balancing buddha bowl recipe is perfect for cooler autumn weather and is full of my favorite goodies. I love to include fermented foods in my meals, because a) they taste nice, and b) they’re good for you! With sweet potatoes, pecans, and tempeh, there’s plenty here to warm you up and fill you up with healthy goodness.
Roasted Buddha Bowl with Curry Pecan Dressing
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into ½-inch rounds
- Sea salt, to taste
For the Edamame, Tempeh, & Asparagus
- 1 cup shelled edamame, defrosted
- ½ tsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 pkg tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
For the Curry Pecan Dressing
- ¾ cup recently boiled/very hot water
- ⅓ cup pecan halves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp mellow white miso
- 2 tsp umeboshi plum vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp curry powder
2 cups hot, cooked short-grain brown rice or hot, cooked quinoa, to serve
Arrange oven racks to accommodate 2 baking sheets.
- Make the Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss sweet potatoes with oil and salt, to taste. Roast on top rack for 35 to 45 minutes, until tender and beginning to brown.
- Make the Edamame, Tempeh, & Asparagus: On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, combine edamame, oil, curry powder, and salt; push to one side. Add asparagus and tempeh in remaining ⅔ of tray. Move potatoes to bottom rack and roast on top rack in oven during last 15 minutes of potato roasting time.
- To Make the Dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor; puree until smooth.
To Assemble the Bowls: Divide the hot brown rice, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and tempeh amongst bowls; drizzle with dressing and garnish with roasted edamame. Serve hot.